Bulletin! ALGONQUIN ‘CHIEF’ DOREEN’ NEGOTIATING
“HAUDENOSAUNEE” TERRITORY WITH CANADA &
Mohawk Nation News
Jan. 25, 2008. At 11.15 am. on Friday January 25,
2008, a Kahtihon’tia:kwenio [Woman Title Holder of the
Kanion’ke:haka], called “Algonquin” negotiator, Doreen
Davis, at 613-484-8868. She’s is purportedly representing
Shaabot Algonquins. When Doreen heard her voice, she
said, “I am in the middle of land claims settlement talks”
with Canada and Ontario of Mohawk land. Then she hung
up. The land in question is Haudenosaunee territory,
south of the Ottawa River .
As Mohawks we cannot speak for the Algonquins. Her
action is in obvious violation of international law because
it involves the disposition of her people’s sovereignty. It is
being conducted in secret, without their informed knowledge
or consent, contrary to standards that were established in
international law. Moreover, as members of the
Haudenosaunee people, we cannot understand why
Canada and Ontario are negotiating with the Algonquins
concerning our land.
Doreen Davis was left the following message on her cell
“We Kahtihon’tia;kwenio insist on the right of
Haudenosaunee and Algonquins to discuss our land
issues under international law. This means that there
has to be a fully informed discussion of the people with
all the information. There can be no “secret meetings”
with you, Canada and Ontario .
“What you, Doreen Davis, Canada and Ontario are
doing is totally illegitimate. You cannot have “closed”
meetings determining the future of our nations. Everyone
has a right to know that this is not Canadian or Algonquin
land. It is Haudenosaunee territory. Everybody is being
misled. The rights of Indigenous people are being
jeopardized. The secrecy of these negotiations is
perpetuating Canada ’s continued mis-education of its
citizens. Most Canadians don’t know that the colony of
Canada doesn’t own most of the land and resources it
“Doreen Davis, you are not in a position to negotiate
something that is non-negotiable. Canada , Ontario and
the Algonquins have to deal with us. If everything was
out in the open, Canadians would probably support us
as we are concerned for the environment and the coming
generations. Their colonial government has ignored this
since it first came here to wreak havoc. ”
Doreen Davis is putting out reports that “everything is
going just peachy”. She still hasn’t said when Frontenac
Ventures is planning to start drilling for uranium on
Haudenosaunee territory. These negotiations and drilling
cannot go on. They are illegal! They are all dangerous!
We are waiting to hear from our Algonquin allies through
formal channels as to why our long time alliance is being
ignored. Meanwhile, we are being contacted by many
Algonquin individuals who are alarmed by what is
happening. This suggests that whoever claims to
represent the Algonquin people does not really speak
In the meantime, Robert Lovelace, who is reportedly
negotiating on behalf of the Ardoch Algonquins, recently
tried to approach the mining site at Sharbot Lake , where
there is now heavy security. He said he was refused entry
by security. He was later told by Frontenac Ventures’
lawyer the reason is that, “We were accompanied by four
warriors who were possibly Mohawks and that we
demanded to be let in”.
We seem to be faced with a whole kettle full of rotten and
soon-to-be radioactive fish. What’s being created here?
It might have to do with defense, nuclear bomb making,
research and testing of equipment and scenarios. Such
companies as Allen Vanguard, Mining Resources
Engineering Limited MREL and their customers like the
Departments of National Defense of Canada and the U.S.
seem to have a lot at stake. One thing is certain, none of
the people concerned are being kept informed, not the
Haudenosaunee, not the Algonquins and not regular
MNN Mohawk Nation News
See Category: “ Sharbot Lake ”
New MNN Books Available Now!
The books below, email us:
Mohawk Warriors Three - The Trial of Lasagna, Noriega, 20/20$20.00 usd
The On-Going Confusion between The Great Law and The Handsome Lake Code$20.00 usd
The Agonizing Death of "Colonialism" and "Federal Indian Law" in Kaianere'ko:wa/Great Law Territory
Who's Sorry Now? The good, the bad and the unapologetic Mohawks of Kanehsatake
Rebuilding the Iroquois ConfederacyKaroniaktajeh$10 usd
Warriors Hand BookKaroniaktajeh$10 usd
Mail checks and money orders to...
MNNP.O. Box 991Kahnawake , QC J0L 1B0
Purchase t-shirts, mugs and more at our CafePress Store
Subscribe to MNN for breaking news updates
Sign Women Title Holders petition!
Link to MNN
Get the code and banners to link to Mohawk Nation News.
Make a contribution to our newsgroup.
Secure your online transaction with PayPalÂ®.
Speaking & Contemporary Native Issues Workshops
Please forward this email to a friend!
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Apache resisters in Texas: Homeland Security's Naz...
- Lipan Apache resolution condemning border wall con...
- Mohawk Nation News website sabotaged after Canada'...
- Republic of Lakotah answers questions
- Canada's 'Indian Affairs' Financed War Machine to ...
- Mohawk Nation News: Bulletin! 'Chief Doreen' negot...
- Choctaw Ben Carnes: The border, treaties, prisoner...
- Mohawk Nation News: Beware of certain unscrupulous...
- In the Spirit of Leonard Peltier, Jan. 31, 2008
- Longest Walk 2: Route Feb 9 -- March 28, 2008
- Workers file suit to stop raids
- US Apartheid of Indigenous Peoples documented in U...
- Indigenous Report to UN: Racism in Homeland Securi...
- South Texans: Chertoff lied about 18 town meetings...
- O'odham and Piipaash culture, Jan 18 - 20, 2008
- Environmental racism of Indigenous Peoples reporte...
- Sacred Lands and the Right of Spiritual Practice
- Apartheid: What the US doesn't want the world to k...
- Houston conference begins on immigrant rights with...
- Guatemala 2008 International Indian Treaty Council...
- Native American Salt Singers travel West to mourn ...
- NAGPRA and 'Bones of Contention' clarification
- Los Pueblos Indigenas juran derribar el muro racis...
- Global Green Indigenous Film Festval
- Navajos' tipster: Vanity Fair, the coyote: Sithe G...
- Apaches rise to defend homelands from Homeland Sec...
- Mohawk Nation News: Algonquin negotiators caught '...
- Apaches' attorney to Homeland Security: Back off a...
- Treaty Council: Expert Mechanism on the Rights of ...
- Reporte Final de la Cumbre Fronteriza de Pueblos I...
- Inside the Checkpoints: The 51st State
- Quebec City celebrates genocide of Indigenous Peop...
- Chris Spotted Eagle's radio guests: Empowerment an...
- Flagstaff, Arizona, Indigenous Media Arts Events, ...
- California: NAGPRA threatened by 'hostile' researc...
- Lakotah Republic serves notice of liens on real es...
- Censored in 2007: Traditional Indian people
- ▼ January (37)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. email@example.com
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith