The Dignity Leaves for Gaza: Its Dangerous Humanitarian Mission Challenges the World to "Stop this Madness!"
MONDAY, DECEMBER 29, 2008
(Larnaca, Cyprus) - There is a time when silence is complicity and inaction is unacceptable.
On Saturday, December 27, Israel began Operation "Cast Lead," a military onslaught against the civilian
population of the Gaza Strip that has - so far - massacred more than three-hundred men, women, and children, and seriously injured over a thousand.
In response to Israeli butchery, the Free Gaza ship, the DIGNITY, will depart Larnaca Port at approximately 5:00 pm (UTC), on Monday, December 29, 2008 bound for besieged Gaza.
The ship is on an emergency mission carrying in
physicians, human rights workers and over three tons of desperately needed medical supplies donated by the people of Cyprus.
Coordinating with the Gaza Ministry of Health, the doctors will be immediately posted to overburdened hospitals and clinics upon their arrival.
We are not asking Israel for "permission" to go, and we will not stop until the DIGNITY lands in Gaza. We are answering urgent calls from hospitals and health care workers in Gaza by taking in three physicians who will stay and work in Gaza for several weeks.
We will hold Israel responsible for the safety of our passengers and our cargo of emergency medicine.
Even before the present Israeli blitzkrieg, Karen Koning Abu Zayd, head of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA), asserted that,
"Gaza is on the threshold of becoming the first territory to be intentionally reduced to a state of abject destitution, with the knowledge, acquiescence and - some would say encouragement - of the international community."
Ewa Jasiewicz, a Free Gaza organizer living in Gaza, agreed with Abu Zayd, saying:
"Where is the United Nations? Where is the Arab League? Where is the outrage against Israeli cruelty and Egyptian complicity?
Every hospital in Gaza is already overwhelmed. Israel is committing war crimes here in Gaza, and words of condemnation are no longer enough. The world must act now to stop this madness."
The Free Gaza Movement continues to do what the governments of the world will not do - take direct action to defend the health, lives, and dignity of 1.5 million Palestinians under siege in the Gaza Strip.
This catastrophe is still unfolding, and humanitarian needs in Gaza are quite literally devastating. The world can no longer stay silent as the Palestinian people are deliberately massacred, starved and humiliated.
We have to create a new consciousness that turns the practice of human rights from rhetoric into reality. Palestinians have an inalienable right to live, and the undeniable right to a life with dignity.
The passengers on this Free Gaza emergency delegation include:
* International humanitarian and human rights workers from Cyprus, Australia, Ireland, Great Britain, Tunisia, and the United States;
* Doctors going to Gaza to volunteer in local hospitals, including Dr. Elena Theoharous, surgeon and Member of Parliament from Cyprus;
* Journalists going to Gaza to report on the massacre, including Al-Jazeera reporter Sami al-Haj, a former detainee at Guantanamo Bay;
* The Hon. Cynthia McKinney, former U.S. Congresswoman 9/11 Truth activist and Green Party presidential candidate.
The Free Gaza Movement, a human rights group, sent two boats to Gaza in August 2008. These were the first international boats to land in the port in forty years. Since August, four more voyages were successful, taking parliamentarians, human rights workers, physicians, and other dignitaries to witness the effects of Israel's draconian policies on the civilians of Gaza.
Censored News Special Edition
- ► 2011 (70)
- ► 2010 (247)
- ► 2009 (91)
- Cythia McKinney's account of attack on Free Gaza s...
- Roberto Rodriquez: America's Soul Sickeness
- US Protest Schedule of Israeli Massacre in Palesti...
- Cynthia McKinney and Sami al-Haj enroute to Gaza
- Stop the Massacre of Palestines! Emergency Protest...
- Lipan Apache Letter to Obama: Stop Border Wall
- LINK Collaboration Brings Hope on Pine Ridge
- NAMAPAHH Radio: Pine Ridge emergency relief
- Free Tibet Concert Anchorage Jan. 10, 2009
- Petros: US pathetic in area of human rights
- Southern California: Native American children need...
- Business as Usual: Navajo spin machine pushes powe...
- DQ Students: 'Board' eats high on hog while studen...
- Roberto Rodriguez: Why Bush Will Walk
- Ken Salazar, Obama's disappointing choice for Secr...
- Blackfire 'Overwhelming' video
- Jefferey Barns Gospel Baha'i Choir LA tonight
- Australian Human Rights Medal Les Malezer 2008
- Best of Longest Walk Radio: First in a series
- Petros: Open Insurrecton -- Greece
- Poo-Ha-Bah Healing Center appeals for funds for ro...
- Juge emprisonne Chef Algonquin, Decembre 2008
- Censored blog radio: Navajo and Hopi protest Peabo...
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights turns 60
- Native American Music Awards collecting toys for R...
- Black Mesa Panel Denver
- Canadian Chiefs to deliver message to Obama: Oil a...
- Rodriquez: 'Obama's Journey: Bring Down the Walls!...
- Western Shoshone testimony: No nuclear transport o...
- Lannan Cultural Freedom Awards recognize border he...
- Bear Butte: Liquor licenses renewed violating sacr...
- Lakota win standing in Cameco nuclear fight
- Black Mesa under attack from Peabody Coal
- Indigenous Black Mesa supply delivery, Dec. 2008
- El Paso elected leader to Obama: No Border Wall
- El Paso elected leader to Obama: No Border Wall
- Carrie Dann on American Indian Airwaves Wed., Dec....
- ▼ December (37)
Censored News Homepage
About Censored News
Censored News is published by censored journalist Brenda Norrell. A journalist for 27 years, Brenda lived on the Navajo Nation for 18 years, writing for Navajo Times, AP, USA Today, Lakota Times and other American Indian publications. After being censored and then terminated by Indian Country Today in 2006, she began the Censored Blog to document the most censored issues. She currently serves as human rights editor for the U.N. OBSERVER & International Report at the Hague and contributor to Sri Lanka Guardian, Narco News and CounterPunch. She was cohost of the 5-month Longest Walk Talk Radio across America, with Earthcycles Producer Govinda Dalton in 2008: www.earthcycles.net/
COPYRIGHTS All material is copyrighted by the author or photographer. Please contact each contributor for reprint permission. email@example.com
Audios may not be sold or used for commercial purposes.
"O FRIEND! In the garden of thy heart plant naught but the rose of love, and from the nightingale of affection and desire loosen not thy hold." --Baha'u'llah, Baha'i Faith